Terraqua - Land Investment

The Land Investor

News and Commentary on Land-based Investment

Western States – River Access Laws

Posted by jwatson on October 19th, 2017

Source:  High Country News; originally published by PERC

The Great Dismal – Restoring a Swamp George Washington Drained

Posted by jwatson on October 13th, 2017

WETLANDS Reviving a swamp George Washington drained EE News:  Published: Friday, October 13, 2017 George Washington, working as a young surveyor 254 years ago, drained a swamp. Now government workers are trying to make it wet again.Washington and his fellow investors had slaves dig a ditch to drain the Great Dismal Swamp on the Virginia-North  Read more…

Conservatives: It’s safe to support renewable energy

Posted by jwatson on October 6th, 2017

Adam Aton, E&E News reporter Published: Friday, October 6, 2017 Republican activists and lawmakers gathered yesterday just off Capitol Hill to talk about folding low-emissions energy policy into the conservative playbook.The Conservative Clean Energy Summit, organized by the Christian Coalition, framed renewable energy policy in terms of how it can advance the right’s fundamental priorities.  Read more…

The Value of Nature-Based Recreation

Posted by jwatson on August 23rd, 2016

  char miller Director of Environmental Analysis Program and W.M. Keck Professor of Environmental The celebrated Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) in northeastern Minnesota, which constitutes one million acres of the Superior National Forest, is among the most pristine river and stream ecosystems in the United States. With any luck, it will remain so.  Read more…

Larimer County Acquires Farm with Water Rights

Posted by jwatson on August 13th, 2016

The Historic Malchow Farm was purchased for its water. The property, infrastructure and minerals were purchased along with the valuable water rights, including 240 units of Colorado-Big Thompson, or C-BT, water, 16 shares of Handy Ditch native water rights and 20 shares in Dry Creek Lateral Ditch. http://larimer.org/news/newsDetail.cfm?id=4318 Larimer County Acquires Farm Southwest of Berthoud  Read more…

The Value of Nature-based Recreation

Posted by jwatson on July 28th, 2016

Char Miller writes a good article for “The Conversation” that speaks to the value of nature-based recreation in context with The celebrated Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) in northeastern Minnesota, which constitutes one million acres of the Superior National Forest.  Can nature advocates save threatened Boundary Waters wilderness – again?            Author Char Miller W. M. Keck  Read more…

Farmland and Timberland – Comparison of these two Asset Classes

Posted by jwatson on July 21st, 2016

Farmland and Timberland – Comparison of these two Asset Classes  Timberland and Farmland possess certain similarities as an asset class, but that there are many differences.  jw Asset Class Battle: Timberland Vs. Farmland Source: Seeking Alpha by Jussi Askola Jul. 19, 2016 3:03 PM ET Summary Timberland and farmland have both achieved historically very attractive  Read more…

Iowa Forestland: 97,000 acres Lost to Cropland, Pasture Conversion over 5 Years

Posted by jwatson on July 19th, 2016

Most of woodland loss was from selloff of timber and conversation to cropland and pasture. The five year period with dramatic forest conversion was 2009-2013 which coincides with the run up in commodity prices Cites a local broker:  “High-demand woodland for hunting maybe goes for about $2,000” an acre, Tauke said. “If you had some acres and were  Read more…

The Wealthy Quietly Invest in Westcliffe, Colorado Ranchland – Where It’s Hard to tell the 1% from the other 99%

Posted by jwatson on July 17th, 2016

Good article from today’s Denver Post that mentions Westcliffe, Colorado and low key wealthy who invest, recreate and live here The surprising peaks and valleys in Colorado income inequality Colorado is a relatively egalitarian place, especially when compared with states such as New York, Connecticut or even Wyoming. But it contains some surprisingly high peaks and  Read more…

Direct Land Investment by Foreigners in Argentina is becoming Possible Again under New Government

Posted by jwatson on July 12th, 2016

In 2011 the Argentina Kirchner-led government imposed the rural land law which imposed broad restrictions on the purchase and lease of rural lands by foreign entities and individuals. Enacted late last month by the new Argentina government led by Mauricio Macri is a New Decree that repeals many of the barriers that had been established  Read more…

  • Recent Articles

  • Browse Articles by Category

  • Article Archives

  • Subscribe to our mailing list.

  • Contact Terraqua

    1625 Larimer St., Suite 506
    Denver, Colorado 80202