Terraqua - Land Investment

Category Archives: Republic Ranches

Iowa Forestland: 97,000 acres Lost to Cropland, Pasture Conversion over 5 Years

woods

Most of woodland loss was from selloff of timber and conversation to cropland and pasture. The five year period with dramatic forest conversion was 2009-2013 which coincides with the run up in commodity prices Cites a local broker:  “High-demand woodland for hunting maybe goes for about $2,000” an acre, Tauke said. “If you had some acres and were  Read more…

Also posted in Agriculture, Biodiversity, Conservation Banking, ecosystem services, Farmland, Fay Ranches, Forestland, Land Investment, Ranches, Soil, Texas, Timberland, U.S. Farmland, Water, Wetland Banking | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The Wealthy Quietly Invest in Westcliffe, Colorado Ranchland – Where It’s Hard to tell the 1% from the other 99%

WESTCLIFFE, CO - JULY 13: A general view of downtown Westcliffe, CO on July 13, 2016. Custer County ranked fifth for its income gap out of 3,064 U.S. counties examined by the Keystone Research Center in Harrisburg, Pa. (Photo by Michael Reaves/The Denver Post)

Good article from today’s Denver Post that mentions Westcliffe, Colorado and low key wealthy who invest, recreate and live here The surprising peaks and valleys in Colorado income inequality Colorado is a relatively egalitarian place, especially when compared with states such as New York, Connecticut or even Wyoming. But it contains some surprisingly high peaks and  Read more…

Also posted in colorado, Fay Ranches, Land Investment, Private Wealth, Ranches, Ranching, Recreational Land, westcliffe | Leave a comment

Cattle size and Profitability – Bigger isn’t always Better!

Big_Mama_cow_art_1024x1024

Thanks to Ross Mcdonald of the 98 Ranch up in Saskatchewan for sharing. It’s a posting from the Cow-Cow Calf blog about cattle size Cattle Size and How It Affects Profitability. Larger weaning rates became the trend driven by “bigger is better” – larger weaning rates mean you sell your calves (by the pound) for more. But  Read more…

Also posted in Agriculture, colorado land, Farmland, Fay Ranches, Land Investment, Ranches, Ranching, U.S. Farmland, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Bill Introduced to make Conservation Easement Tax Incentives Permanent

John Watson/Fay Ranches.  Introduced yesterday, the Conservation Easement Incentive Act is a Congressional bill that would make the Conservation Easement tax incentive permanent.   By way of background, for the fourth time in recent history, enhanced tax incentives for conservation easements have expired making it very difficult to incentivize land owners to conserve their conservation and  Read more…

Also posted in Agriculture, Biodiversity, colorado land, Conservation Banking, Conservation Easements, Farmland, Fay Ranches, Forestland, Historical Preservation, Land Investment, Oklahoma, Ranches, Ranching, Recreational Land, Soil, Texas, Timberland, U.S. Farmland, Water, Water rights, Wyoming | Leave a comment

Access to U.S. Beaches, Waterways, Vary Significantly from State to State

John Watson/Fay Ranches.  Access to U.S. coastal beaches, waterways and non-navigable rivers and streams vary considerably from state to state.  For instance, Oregon has some of the most public friendly river access laws while states like Wyoming and Texas maintain more protective private property rights in favor of the landowner.  The San Mateo, California coastal  Read more…

Also posted in colorado land, Farmland, Fay Ranches, Financial Advisor, Forestland, Private Wealth, Public Lands, Ranches, Recreational Land, Texas, Timberland, U.S. Farmland, Uncategorized, Water, Water rights, Wyoming | Leave a comment

Private Energy and Commodity Wealth looks to Land Investment

Today’s DTN/Progressive Farmer featured an article that accurately describes what we are observing at Fay Ranches in the land investment market. The booming new energy era in Texas is generating billions of dollars of new wealth for the U.S. economy and a good amount of that cash is being invested in the Texas land market and  Read more…

Also posted in Agriculture, colorado land, Farmland, Fay Ranches, Land Investment, Legacy Landbank, Private Land Marketing, Private Wealth, Ranching, Texas, Water rights | Tagged | Leave a comment
  • Recent Articles

  • Browse Articles by Category

  • Article Archives

  • Subscribe to our mailing list.

  • Contact Terraqua

    1625 Larimer St., Suite 506
    Denver, Colorado 80202
    303-900-4226
    watsonj@terraqua.us